The Columbus Blue Jackets (33-12-5) and New Jersey Devils (21-21-10) will face off in Columbus tonight for the first time all season. In what will be the first of first four meeting between the two Metropolitan Division clubs, both teams will look to get back on track after tough losses on Friday night. Puck drop is scheduled for shortly after 7:00 PM ET.
Here are 10 things to get you ready for this evening’s game:
- Both teams are coming off 4-3 losses in overtime last night. The Jackets lost to the Pittsburgh Penguins on the road while the Devils lost to the Calgary Flames at home.
- Should this game go to OT, the CBJ have a 8-5 record while the Devils are 8-10 this season.
- With 52 points, the New Jersey Devils are last place in the Metropolitan Division.
- The Devils are 28th in the National Hockey League averaging 2.3 goals per game. The Jackets are third averaging just over one more goal per game.
- Although the CBJ have the number one power play unit in the NHL, they’ve only gotten two opportunities on the man advantage in the last four games.
- Tonight’s game will be the first time the Jackets are on home ice in two weeks. Each of their last five games have been on the road. At Nationwide Arena, the CBJ are 18-5-1 this year.
- The Devils have just two victories in their last six games, going 2-3-1 during that stretch. The Jackets haven’t been much better, going 3-2-1 during that same stretch.
- In the second game of back-to-backs, both the Blue Jackets and Devils are 6-2-3 this season.
- Coming into tonight’s game, CBJ right winger Cam Atkinson is tied for third in the NHL in goals scored with 25.
- Jackets defenders will have to watch out for Devils winger Kyle Palmieri tonight. The 26-year-old leads the team in goals and has found the back of the net three times in the last two games.
Back on home ice against the worst team in the division in the second game of a back-to-back, it would be easy for the Jackets to let off the gas against the New Jersey Devils. After grabbing three out of four points in two big games on the road after the break, this will be a test for Columbus to maintain the level of focus needed to take a game they should win. This one will be an interesting one to watch.